The pulpit and lecturn
The fine stone pulpit, with its elegant goblet shape, is a fifteenth century work, showing the growing importance of preaching.
The lectern was donated in the 1920’s by Emma Stevens, sister of Rev Richard Stevens in memory of Hermione Goodrick.
The Chancel is the area beyond the nave. The word comes from the latin “cancelli”, a lattice or grill. Until the Reformation, a lattice-work wooden screen divided the chancel from the nave, probably with painted pictures of the saints, and a large cross above it.
The chancel, with the choir stalls, was restored in 1906. The single stall on the left is occupied by the minister leading worship.