The porch was added in the fifteenth century. The niche above the entrance held a statue, possibly of St James. In earlier centuries business was transacted in porches. Marriages used to be solemnised in the porch.
The north door, including its iron-work and its stone surround, dates from 1304. The two carved heads were disfigured at the Reformation or in the 17th century.
The oldest part of the church is however the north wall of the nave, where a 13th century lancet window remains to the east of the porch which shelters a pretty Early English period doorway. The door itself seems to be of the same period.