St James Banner

The Building

The building is national monument 201265, a grade 1-listed rural Anglican parish church consecrated in 1304. It is set in the centre of a large level churchyard alongside the Westerleigh village green, situated near the edge of the Cotswold hills.

The original church was consecrated in 1304; the fine three-stage tower, tall and slim, perpendicular in style, with diagonal buttresses and octagonal stairwell leading to the ornate turret and slim pinnacles.

In the 17th century the Roberts family improved the south aisle and added panelling in 1638, which later formed the base for the musician’s gallery.

Notable interior features include a C15 sedilla, C17 carved screen and posts to tower base, carved stone font and C18 gallery and painted coat of arms. The chancel was rebuilt in 1879-81 by Ewan Christian.

The roof tiles were replaced in 2013 and stonework restored by Ken Biggs Contractors and Youngs Roofing.

Building  Construction

The building comprises random sandstone rubble with sandstone and limestone dressings. Angle and lateral stepped buttresses. Graduated pennant sandstone slate roofs with clay ridges, parapet coped verges and apex cross finials to nave and chancel, plain verge to the porch.

Cast iron, half-round gutters and rectangular downpipes and some circular downpipes, draining to gullies or concrete or brick-lined runnels. Generally perpendicular style flat-headed 3-light mullioned windows along the north and south walls. Decorated style pointed arched 3-light mullion windows with cusped tracery on the east gable ends and the north wall next to the porch.

The porch has opposing twin light flat-headed windows with cusped tracery, and pointed arched outer and inner doorways, the outer with a niche above.