The History of St James Church, Westerleigh
The original church (the Nave, chancel and sacristy) was consecrated in 1304. It was extended in the 15th century when the porch, tower and south aisle were added.
The church is dedicated to St James the Great, patron Saint of Pilgrims. His famous shrine in Santiago de Compostela continues to attract countless pilgrims today, many of who follow traims from all parts of Europe before joing the northern Spanish Routes. This church may have been associated with the pilgrim route from Worcestershire to Spain via Bristol.
St James the Great is a Grade-1 listed building surrounded by a graveyard containing fifteen Grade 2-listed chest tombs. We have a duty to preserve this heritage and are currently raising funds towards enhancing it for community use including the installation of kitchen and toilets.